Wednesday, October 10, 2012

That yolk isn't runny anymore

Untitled

When I was a kid, I liked eggs cooked all kinds of ways, as long as it was sunny-side up. I’d bust the yolks with the edge of my heavily buttered toast, scoop it up, eat it and call it a day, leaving the whites behind. I’m not sure where that little poultry penchant came from, but for years that was how I ate my eggs.

Now, I’m a lot more appreciative of the versatility of the humble ouef. Scrambled, poached, and fried: it’s all good. And now: baked.

I pulled the concept for this from Yottam Ottolenghi’s Plenty (another version appears over at Bon Appetit). This is a great one for a hearty and healthy weekend supper that would also work as a centerpiece of a Sunday brunch. Best of all, it’s so simple there’s lots of room for experimentation: I’m looking forward to playing around with different greens like arugula or chard and adding different toppings like Parmesan cheese, chili oil, crushed pepper flakes or tomato jam.

Baked eggs with kale
1 small onion, diced fine
1 clove garlic, minced
Juice of half a lemon
1 medium bunch of kale, stems and tough ribs removed, leaves roughly chopped
4 eggs
Kosher salt
Black pepper

Preheat oven to 350°. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a deep-sided skillet or pot over medium low heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is soft and translucent. Add kale and lemon juice and season with salt. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, turning frequently, until kale is wilted, about 4–5 minutes.

Remove pot from heat and transfer kale into two, oven-proof baking dishes or ramekins (make sure you rub a little oil or butter on the inside of the dishes so nothing sticks). Make two small indentations in each dish and carefully break 1 egg into each hollow.

Transfer dishes to oven and bake until eggs are set, 10-15 minutes, depending on how you like your yolks (I did mine for 15 and the yolks came out completely cooked). Remove from oven, transfer dishes to plates and serve on their own or with hash browns or crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment