Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Mix and match

Weiss sour

When a hot summer day rolls around, nothing hits the spot quite like a crisp, fruity wheat beer. Alas, while our winter has been unseasonably unseasonable, it’s not summer yet. That’s no reason why you can’t spruce up your February cocktails with a little of that liquid sunshine.
I like whisky. And I like beer. I don’t know why it took me so long to mix them together outside of my stomach. The original recipe calls for Hoegaarden and bourbon: I used Canadian Club and Kronenburg 1664 Blanc and it worked well enough. I can’t say I really noticed the marmalade much beyond the little bits floating in the glass. The citrus in the beer gave the whole thing a nice tartness. I know I’ll be experimenting with this a bit; hopefully I’ll have it mastered by patio season.

Weissen sour

2 oz bourbon or whisky
¾ oz fresh squeezed lemon juice
¼ oz simple syrup
2 dashes of orange bitters
1 teaspoon orange marmalade
A wheat beer like a hefeweizen or witbier
Lemon twist, for garnish

Combine bourbon, lemon juice, simple syrup, bitters, and marmalade in a mixing glass.

Add ice. Shake vigorously 30 to 45 seconds. Strain over ice into a double rocks glass (also known as a bucket)

Top with beer.

Twist lemon over the drink and garnish and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment