Monday, November 22, 2010

From the vaults

Yikes. Forgive the lack of updates. Believe me, it's not for a lack of cooking either: just this past week I braised a brisket and staged a dinner for six with a (dare I say perfect) roasted prime rib as the cornerstone. Trouble is, whenever I cook event meals, I tend to be too busy, well, cooking (not to mention chatting and drinking)  to bother with photos. Since I got nothin' at the moment, I thought I'd reprint one of my favourite recipes from my original tumblr blog.

Harrissa2

Harissa and Yogurt Chicken (adapted from Nigel Slater's The Kitchen Diaries)

4 chicken thighs (bone-in and skin on)*
2 generous tablespoons thick Greek-style yogurt
2 ½ - 3 teaspoons harissa paste
3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup torn mint leaves
1. Whisk the harissa into the yogurt in a bowl, then whisk in the olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then add the chicken pieces to the marinade, turning to coat. Allow to sit for at least 10 minutes, then turn and marinate for another 10.

2. Heat a broiler until very hot. Place chicken part son a rack set on a foil-covered baking sheet (believe me, this will make cleaning up a lot easier). Cook the chicken skin side up until crispy (approximately 12 minutes), then turn and cook until internal temperature is 160F, about 8-10 minutes more.

3. Remove from heat and scatter with mint leaves. Serve with a Morroccan couscous or rice pilaf.

*You could also use a couple of whole legs or breasts. Just make sure there’s skin on there, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment