Monday, July 12, 2010

Opening salvo

Welcome to the Kitchen Front. To those of who are here via my old blog: welcome. If you're new, allow me to give you a brief rundown about what we're all about here. Primarily, we'll be writing about cooking and recipes, but there may be diversions into dining out, food politics or even music and pop culture. But the main focus will continue to be on the output of my humble kitchen.

At the moment we (that is: myself and my lovely partner and occasional guest poster D.) live in Vancouver, B.C., birthplace of the 100 Mile Diet, one of the world’s 10 best restaurant cities (according to Food and Wine Magazine) and, thanks to a steady supply of fresh, locally produced ingredients, a home cook's paradise. Toronto, Ontario.


I should mention here (as I switch to the first person singular) that I am by no means an expert chef. At best, I am an enthusiastic amateur. I do a fair bit of writing in my professional life and have done for the better part of the last 15 years. My love of cooking on the other hand is of a much more recent vintage. Food blogging, then, is simply a nice way to use my talents and interests at the same time as keeping my tummy full. That's really all there is to it.

I hope you like it.

One other thing: the only thing better than making and eating food is talking about it, so if you have a question, comment or dissenting opinion, please drop a few lines down in the comments section.

Finally, a note about the name: The Kitchen Front was a popular wartime BBC radio broadcast dedicated to giving those on the home front advice for cooking healthy meals during a time of extreme rationing. I chose the name in part as an homage to the idea of doing more with less (simplicity being my culinary watchword), as well as a reflection of my interest in military history and my Anglophilic pop culture leanings.

This blog is not affiliated in any way with the Imperial War Museum London and its Ministry of Food exhibition (underway through January 2011), Company of Cooks and its Kitchen Front project, or the British Broadcasting Corporation. The views, opinions and recipes herein are those of the proprietor, except where otherwise indicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment